Tom Jones
1915-1993
South Lincolnshire became
established as a centre for the supply of antiques during the middle years
of the 20th century with many dealers operating from the small market
towns in the district, attracting buyers from throughout the United
Kingdom, the Continent and even America, who made regular visits. Foremost
among them was Tom Jones who operated from premises adjoining the old
Wherry’s Mill off North Road, Bourne, and who established an enviable
reputation in the trade, a flamboyant presence in the saleroom where he
became respected by dealers and auctioneers alike.
He was also prominent in the local community as a farmer, landowner,
councillor and supporter of many conservation causes as well as local
drama groups, always ready to provide furniture and other artefacts as
stage props in their production.
Tom Jones was born Thomas Henry Empson at Newark-on-Trent,
Nottinghamshire, on Christmas Day, 25th December 1915 to Arthur and Kate
Empson. His father worked as a drayman at a local brewery, having recently
moved to Newark from the family home in Greatford, near Bourne, where the
Empsons had moved in the early 1900s via Dunsby and Hanthorpe. His mother
(née Beeston) was brought up in Newark, but came originally from rural
Nottinghamshire.
Mr Empson’s father served in the Great War but was killed in action on
28th March 1918 and is buried at Arras in Northern France. Tom
subsequently moved to live with his paternal aunt, Sarah Jones, and uncle,
Tom Jones, at Mill House in North Road Bourne, but kept in close touch
with his mother who continued to live in Newark. Tom, senior, was a highly
respected cattle dealer and rented a number of fields around Bourne to
pasture stock en route to markets all over South Lincolnshire, using Mill
House and the accompanying paddock and buildings as a base for his
business.
Young Tom attended Bourne Primary School until he was 14 when he joined
his uncle in cattle droving and dealing. Mr Jones senior died in 1936, and
Tom went into partnership with his aunt to operate Mill House and the
fields as a farm, initially with beef cattle and sheep, later adding
poultry and a dairy herd. Much of the attached land was arable and he grew
hay, wheat, barley, and fodder crops. It was during this period as a
farmer that his interest in antiques was stimulated and he started to
collect them, notably country style furniture, bygones and Staffordshire
figures. During the war, he continued farming and served with the local
Home Guard.
On Boxing Day 1941, he married Mary Joan
Stacey, a hairdresser from Bourne, at St John the Baptist church, Baston,
her home village, and they went to live in Hereward Street, Bourne, but
soon moved to 59 North Road, where their two children were born, son Tom
Jones-Empson in 1943 and daughter Jennifer Jones-Empson in 1944.
Throughout his youth in Bourne, Tom had been known under the name of Jones
but had married under his legal name of Thomas Henry Empson and on 23rd
October 1945 he changed his name by deed poll to Tom Jones and his family
name to Jones, an act of gratitude to the uncle and aunt who had brought
him up.
For a spell in the 1960s, Tom became an
independent member of Bourne Urban District Council, making a tireless and
determined input with the
housing committee, but continued to farm and to collect antiques,
frequently lecturing on the subject to many local groups such as the
Women’s Institute, entertaining them with stories and tips on collecting,
always telling his audience that every piece had a history, a distinctive
feature that made it with special or curious in some way or another. He also took up wood carving and painting in his spare
time, became a member of Bourne Male Voice Choir and delighted in growing
and arranging flowers. Both he and his wife were strong supporters of Toc
H and in 1953 the family paid a visit to Toc H headquarters in Belgium.
|
TOM JONES - ARTIST
Tom Jones was active in many spheres of life
but painting gave him a particular pleasure and he liked nothing more
than to escape to his garden with easel and paints. |
He and his son were also active members of the Bourne Guild of Arts and
Crafts, both frequently exhibiting watercolour paintings of local
landscapes at annual
exhibitions at various venues in the town and throughout his life, he
remained a staunch supporter of Bourne and its heritage.
In 1957, he extended Mill House, now 64 North Road Bourne, and the family
moved there to live with his now elderly aunt. After her death in 1963, he
abandoned farming and by 1965 had turned the barns, cow shed and what
remained of the old windmill into an antique shop. His second career gave
him enormous pleasure as well as making him a well-known personality in
the antique trade while Joan became a partner, running the shop and
keeping the books while he dealt with the buying and selling of stock.
“They were an admirable balanced and complementary couple in everything
they did together”, remembered a friend. “She was also the sort of person
to whom people would turn to for advice and help and she was a tower of
strength to many.”
During the 1970s and 1980s, Tom was an active member of Bourne Civic
Society and Rotary Club and later, after he had retired from the antique
business in 1985, Probus. He and his wife continued to live happily at
Mill House, celebrating their golden wedding in December 1991.
Joan died on 16th February 1993, aged 77, and Tom never regained his
vibrant personality and died in Bourne Hospital the following Easter, on
Good Friday, 10th April, also aged 77. Funeral services were held at the Abbey
Church conducted by the vicar, Canon John Warwick, followed by cremation
at Peterborough.
Tom Jones is remembered in Bourne as an
incredibly active and lively person with a genuine concern for the welfare
of others, kind and good humoured, always ready to help, especially
old people and those to whom he felt an injustice had been done, sometimes
spontaneously outspoken but always of generous spirit, and with his
passing the town lost a little of its history.
|
A tapestry of Bourne Urban District Council's
Coat of Arms worked by Mrs Joan Jones, wife of
Councillor Tom Jones, was handed over by him to the chairman,
Councillor Jack Burchnell, in 1968. The vice-chairman, Councillor Leslie Day can be seen in the centre. The tapestry hung in the council
chamber at Wake House until the council was disbanded in 1974 and is now be seen on display at the Heritage Centre in Baldock's Mill. |
|
This photograph was taken on a winter's day in
February 1978 showing the surviving stump of Wherry's Mill and
adjoining outbuildings used by Tom Jones for the storage, display
and sale of antiques. The stump was finally cleared away in June
1994 and a house has since been built in the site. |
WRITTEN DECEMBER 2009
See also
Wherry's Mill
Go to:
Main Index Villages
Index
|